This week, I have to go back to work. Womp, womp.
I always knew I’d want to work while raising kids. Stay-at-home moms are superheroes, and I respect the hell out of them, but that’s just not me. Going back to work feels like eating my veggies–it’s something that I want to do, but also really, really don’t because my baby is the best baby in the world (sorry, other babies) and I love her and I’m pretty sure that I will have a meltdown every five seconds that I’m at work.
When I was first getting used to having a plethora of time and a dearth of free hands, I frantically googled “things to do on maternity leave”, “what to do while breastfeeding”, and “how to work out with baby”. The search turnout was less than satisfying, and I quickly found my own answers (respectively: whatever you want, Netflix, and stationary bike). I’d like to think this list might help some busybody mom like me, but if nothing else I will have a list of my teeny accomplishments.
WHAT I DID DURING MATERNITY LEAVE
(in order of least to most significant)
- Watched all of The Office, Riverdale, and Friends
- Went to brunch a LOT
- Drank a lot of delicious coffee
- Savored the occasional afternoon nap
- Cleaned my house. Thanks, Roomba!
- Took the babe on numerous stroller walks to the beach and the convenience store
- Pumped enough breastmilk to fill my freezer
- Figured out how to accomplish everyday tasks with one or no hands
- Explored Okinawa again
- Survived our first mini-deployment
- Travelled to California and Tokyo
- Attempted to get back in shape, not an easy task as a temporarily single mom
- Caught up with so many old friends
- Introduced T to her grandparents, her aunt, great-grandma, great-uncle
- Cuddled this babe for approximately 12 weeks straight. Loved her more than I ever knew was possible.